Saturday, June 11, 2011

Santa Marta Colombia- A La Orden


So, my biggest goals in regards to being near Santa Marta were to go to the Lost City and Tayrona Park (Parque Tayrona). The city of Santa Marta is much less Westernized and a
little less touristy than Cartagena. I liked this part of this little, bustling place. Donkeys still share the road with a lot of
cars and motorbikes.
The first hostel where I stayed was a PARTY hostel. Let me explain - there are two or three types of hostels when you're traveling - there's a party hostel, a chill hostel, and sometimes a dirty
hostel. The Brisa Loca, where I first stayed in
Santa Marta, is a party hostel! It is owned by two Americans from NYC or Cali- I'm not quite sure, and it is gorgeous. It has everything you need and more. You don't even need to leave the hostel to enjoy your stay in Santa Marta - this kinda bothered me. After returning from my three day trek to the Lost City, I changed to a "chill" hostel that was much more laid back and still fun!
While I "based" myself in Santa Marta, I did "life" stuff. This included buying glasses on the street, drinking juice everyday, checking out the local sunset, stepping on a nail, going to the doctor after stepping on a nail, meeting some really nice folks in my hostel, and eating lots of mango and coconut.
You can buy anything on the streets of Colombia - I mean anything. I bought prescription glasses there for 20 American dollars. I even made a mistake with my prescription, and Sonny, my glasses man, changed it for me for at no charge. Sonny also sold belts, flashlights, book bags, and snacks.
When you approach a store or cart on the street, the sales person immediately says "A La Orden", which means at your service, or welcome, or something like that. But, it is the saying of Colombia.
I also visited a park in the city called "Parque de los Novios" - which means park of the lovers. Very pretty and slightly depressing - ha ha! It was very nice, safe place in the city with tasty restaurants and interesting people lining the streets.
One thing I did learn while staying in Santa Marta is that I wake up way too early. The sun rises here, everyday at 5:30 in Colombia, so I unfortunately wake up at 6:30 or 7:00, everyday. There is no food in Santa Marta before around 9:00. You can buy weak coffee from men on the street for about 25 cents for a small cup at almost anytime of day.
My first hostel, The Brisa Loca, did not serve breakfast or coffee until 9:00! I was astonished by this. And, I
immediately felt old. This was honestly another reason I left this establishment. The overwhelming amount of 18-22 year old British, American, and Australian travelers there was too much for me.
Part of traveling for me is not only "seeing the sights". The larger part of traveling for me is, experiencing the culture and knowing the people of the area. Like I have said before, this can be found in the markets... That is why I have included so many photos of the markets of Santa Marta.
This is also why I enjoy places like Santa Marta. Many people asked me why I didn't stay in
Taganga, a small touristy backpacker area close to Santa Marta, and I answered because I do not want to be around so many backpackers. I
wanted to see the real South America, not the "gringo trail" that everyone down here follows. I
think in the end, I will have experienced both.
I got to know the communities of Isabela and Pisco, but I am traveling on the Gringa (American/Tourist girl) trail. It is hard not to do when you're traveling alone in South America, but I am glad to have had both experiences. The norm - my trip now - and the definitely not so norm - Isabela Island, Galapagos AND Pisco, Peru!
I also spent one day in a little cafe called Lulo - a popular fruit grown in Colombia. I spent the
day drinking coffee and drawing. I had not drawn in probably three months.
I find myself taking more pictures than I ever have in my whole life! I think this is because I am traveling alone. This blog and my pics are a way to share my experience with friends and family, and I am happy to have access to this technology!



No comments:

Post a Comment