Friday, June 10, 2011

Cartagena - A Charleston in the DEEPEST South



I arrived to Cartagena tired and ready for a break from the wilderness. Cartagena resulted to be the answer to my prayers. I only spent two nights in
Cartagena, but they were two nights well spent. I ate, walked, and had a mini city life. I really needed this.
Cartagena was once a walled city, so there is a large wall surrounding the historic district. This district is also the "touristy" section of town where I stayed in a hostel. The city itself reminds me of Charleston, South Carolina with a Caribbean, Latin edge.
The first night I arrived, I went to a small restaurant below my hostel to eat some pizza. I decided to "splurge" and
order a salad. The salad had FRESH vegetables! And, they
were good! I was soooo excited. The food here is westernized, so it is easy to find a lot of the comforts of home. I also ate goat cheese, falafel, a type of paella, hummus, coconut, mango, banana, and many other types of fruits.
In addition to having Western food options, Colombia is known for its juices! I had and continue to have juices every day. The juices really help with the climate because it is HOT in Cartagena; in more ways than one.. He he!
There are two beautiful beaches located very close to Cartagena, but I did not visit them. I really just wanted to walk around the hot city, watch people, window shop, and eat food. So, this is what I did!
I found one store in Cartagena that had over 1,000
Molas. These are fabrics made from the indigenous Kuna people from Panama and Colombia. I went crazy, to say the least. Mom introduced these fabrics to me in Galapagos, and
I have searched for them ever since. I was very happy to find such an abundance in Cartagena.
After buying a couple presents for myself, friends, and family, I prepared for my trip to Santa Marta. I absolutely loved Cartagena. The people, the vibe, and the beautiful architecture were different than anywhere else I had visited in South America. It is however like Charleston - somewhere I would never want to live.
After literally indulging myself in Cartagena, I headed by bus to Santa Marta to experience a different Caribbean city and prepare myself for the Lost City Trek and Tayrona Park.
I didn't realize how much I NEED healthy, fresh food. After three months of fried, cheap street food in Peru, the fresh veggies and fruits were a welcomed change. My body, mind, and soul were
happy. From Cartagena on, I have done nothing but eat fresh fruit for the majority of my meals. My mouth is a little upset because of the high acid content, but the rest of "me" is G-O-O-D!
I am in Salento, Colombia right now in the Coffee Region relaxing in the most beautiful hostel I have ever been in! Last night, I ate a meal with other individuals and had an intelligent conversation. I feel a little like an adult again.. I am going to stay here for about a week then head over to Cali, the capital of salsa dancing and then down to Quito!
Take care all - Un beso :)


No comments:

Post a Comment