Monday, June 27, 2011

SachaMama - Family and Quality


While I was staying in Salento, I visited a local coffee farm called "Sachamama". The name means mother of the forest or jungle in Quechua - the Incan language. It was a gratifying, inspirational experience that has left me motivated and
thinking of project ideas. I definitely suggest buying coffee from Pedro and if you can, visiting the farm.
I went to the farm with an American couple from Colorado and finance expert from Switzerland. We started walking at about 7:00 in the morning from La Serrana, our hostel, and made it to the
farm for coffee and music at about 10:00. In order to reach the farm, we took "the short way", which led us over a sketchy bridge. This way is not mandatory, but it is sooo much fun!
After we arrived Pedro's home, we met his beautiful wife and daughters. They do not have electricity a their home and use leaves and other items for
decorations. It is beautiful. Not only the view, but the design is breathtaking. Jack and Nina from Colorado were musicians, so we had a little jam session on the porch before venturing out
and discovering Sachamama.
Pedro is a trained agro-engineer who is very educated in regards to sustainable farming techniques. Before starting his own farm, he worked with a local environmental organization.
The farm is also going through the process of being certified by Slow Food. His philosophy of life is: family and quality (and one other thing but I can't remember what). I have visited many quote un quote eco farms in South America, but I have never been as impressed as when I visited this place. He and his family are well educated.. I learned sooo much.
Pedro and his oldest daughter, Juanita, took us on a detailed
tour of his farm. The area where he is growing his forest and coffee was formerly a farm with cows where GMO grass was planted and the area lacked any real diversity. There are still small portions of GMO grass that grows on his farm, and he
explained to us that it is Monsanto grass that can only be killed with - guess what- Roundup, so he is not sure what to do.
He has been slowly changing this ecosystem for the last nine
years. And, excuse me if I do not get the scientific specifics exactly correct - I was listening in Spanish! He has planted wax palms, wiped out a large portion of the grass and planted flowers, trees, and of course... Coffee! He has created an
ecosystem that is perfect for coffee. He uses no chemicals or GMOs - perfectly organic, and all the fallen trees in the forest are used for his home. He explained that many other coffee farmers in the area claim to be organic, but use
compost from animals that have been fed hormones and other antibiotics. This, in turn, impacts the soil and makes the resulting coffee -
inorganic. The tour was very informative, and he is definitely passionate about what he does.
After touring the farm, we ate lunch with his family and went through the process of making
coffee. First, we shelled the beans with a hand-cranked coffee sheller located on the border of his forest. These beans are then set in the sun
to dry. We retrieved beans that had already been dried for at least one day (a little unclear on the time here) and took him to the shop.
At the shop, we then roasted the beans. This part process is the only part that uses electricity, and Pedro hopes to change this by someday installing photovolataic or solar electric panels - more about this later. This machine roasts beans at a very high temperature.
We were instructed to not touch this machine because we could get hurt!
It asked us what the smell reminded us of. Nina said her family, and I said popcorn and chocolate
:). This part of the experience was very important to Pedro. He is concerned not only with the quality of the coffee but also the experience. It is beautiful and in some ways spiritual.
After he roasted the beans, we then moved them
with a spoon to disperse the heat. The beans were then ground and Pedro made the coffee. We then put the coffee in bags, and I bought one for me and one for my brother! It is by far the best
coffee I have ever had.
Marco, from Switzerland, and I had to walk back the same evening, so we left after trying and buying some coffee. The experience at his farm motivated me in ways that I have not been motivated in a long time. It was somewhat
magical. I am now searching for funding for the four PV panels that Pedro needs to make his farm 100% ecologically friendly.
He also has hopes of converting his farm into an
environmental education center that could educate other coffee farmers about ecological farming practices. He told us though, that these are all dreams that may happen. His first priority is always his family, and you could tell by the way they geniunely enjoy eachothers' company.
Another priority, as I mentioned earlier, is quality and not quantity. Quality comes from growing food close to home, using sustainable farming practices, and eating the food with your family and friends. I appreciate quality and family. I learned much more from Pedro than just about coffee and suggest a visit to his farm to anyone.
I am in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia now staying with Mom and Hap. They now have 10 goats.. It is crazy. I am adjusting well, so far.. Just having problems finding the trash can for my toilet paper in the bathroom. I look for about twenty seconds before I remember that I can throw it in the toilet. Take care everyone :)
Also, please vote for Pedro's project on this website! It can help he and his family receive possible funding for future initiatives!
http://www.lanzanos.com/caja/proyecto/910/




No comments:

Post a Comment