Thursday, June 16, 2011

Parque Tayrona - Short but Sweet


I was only able to visit Parque Tayrona or Tayrona Park for one evening. Like many things lately, I was confused about the date of my plane flight, so I only had one day to visit this majestic
place. It costs 35,000 pesos or about 20 dollars to enter. Upon entering, you take a shuttle
to a centralized area and then walk for about three hours to a campsite located on the beach.In my
hostel in Santa Marta, I had met three ladies from Spain who were visiting the park that day, and on the walk to the campsite, I met two other Spaniards, a Chilean/Peruvian,
American/Peruvian, and two French guys. On the walk to
the campsite, we had to walk through a lot of mud and pass through a saltwater/freshwater area where there was a
Cayman (crocodile) hanging out. We all walked, carefully around the Cayman. It was not nearly as scary as I imagined, but I think it is because everyone else was so calm.The campsite was located a stone's throw from the Caribbean. We all paid around ten dollars for a hammock with a mosquito net. The
campsite had a restaurant and a medical station... I don't know who would have been the doctors, but it's all good because no one got hurt.
I arrived at about 5:00 and went straight to the water. It was sooo hot! The water was calm and clear, like I had imagined the Caribbean. After doing some yoga, showering, and preparing for
the evening, I ate some dinner with the people I met at my hostel.
I brought Peanut Butter, bread, granola, and avocado with me, so I ate this as my dinner. But, the restaurant did serve overpriced dishes..
The most fascinating part of the trip had to be the incredible
thunderstorm that raged during the evening. We spent four or five hours playing the card game bullshit and watching the thunderstorm. I had not seen anything like it since Topsail Beach. It was amazing. Our
hammocks were outside (covered), so we were able to sleep listening to the rain. Amazing..
I opted to eat breakfast at the little restaurant. After a nice meal with my new friends from Spain, I took a quick dip and started the four hour walk to the entrance of the camp. I took my time on the way back taking pictures and swims along the way. The previous night's

thunderstorm made the mud an interesting obstacle, but I made it.. Dirty, but I made it!
I returned that afternoon to my hostel, took a very quick shower, and made it to the airport to catch my 4:00 plane.
I am now writing from Popoyan, Colombia in Southern Colombia. I will be returning home to NC/VA in one week! After spending a very relaxing week in Salento, I spent
last night in Cali dancing... Not so relaxing, but still cool!
I didn't dance as much as I wanted, but it usually takes me a while, like with everything, to be comfortable enough to dance. I sometimes forget this, and it can be rather frustrating. But, I always remember, practice compassion, and patiently wait until I am comfortable. It is a cycle that I know well. It is one of the many valuable things I have learned about myself on this trip. I have a much better understanding of myself and the best ways that I function. WOW! and CHAO :)



No comments:

Post a Comment