Sunday, May 29, 2011

Travels with Anna - A Trip Down the Amazon


I decided to dedicate a blog post to the journey I took from Chachapoyas to Iquitos. For the sheer fact that the voyage itself took over five days... I took a long, I mean long ride to Iquitos, Peru, the city most land trapped in the world. It is only accessible by river - the Amazon - and plane. I chose the first - a little cheaper and much more
interesting. And, oh how it was.
What was said to be an 10 hour trip turned into an overnight, 12 hour trip. I took over six convis and one nice bus inbetween Chachapoyas and Yurimaguas, stopping in Tarapoto to sleep. It was very interesting and fun. I first left the small, interesting town of Chachapoyas for the city of Yurimaguas. I left in the morning at around 8:00.

I made it to the next town over, Pedro Ruis, at approximately 9:00 a.m. I then went from Pedro Ruis to Nueva Cajamarca (originally three but really five hours). From Nueva Cajamarca to a place whose name I have forgotten the name. From ?? ??, to Moyatombo. And, finally from Moyotamba to Tarapoto, where I slept. I did this all with no napping and two very large, uncomfortable bags! It was much more interesting, though, than the normal bus. I realized with this adventure that I am in fact my father's daughter.
These horrendous photos of myself are here to show everyone what ten hours in five different convis (the vans in the pic above), a coca cola, a papa relleno con pollo (friend potato stuffed with chicken), a chocolate and lucuma ice cream sandwich, two egg sandwiches, two cups of coffee (with A LOT OF sugar), and fried platanos oh one, small,
bottle of water can do to you... It's not pretty. I ended the night in Tarapoto with a session of yoga, an unfortunate chicken leg with rice, and an episode of Latin American "Intervention". But, I did have a nice bed and a toilet seat, so it was a step up from the days on the boat!
I woke up the next morning and made my way to Yurimaguas where I started my three day boat trip through the Amazon Jungle. I arrived in a chaotic Yurmiguas.. Everyone was trying to sell me something. I also arrived to a boat that
carried, along with a lot of people, cows, chickens, eggs, toilet paper (not in the bathroom), food of all sorts, electronics, and anything else that the town of Iquitos needs or wants.
The passengers on the boat were mostly Peruvians, but there were a handful of travelers like myself. There were also two puppies, which weren't allowed on the boat until the boat left land.. And, then anything went, along with smoking and throwing your trash into the river. I stayed on the boat for three days, and the third day we made it to the Amazon River, which is
spectacular. We were served three meals a day; which weren't too bad, except if you're trying not to eat meat, but I've found that's the case with the majority of South America. I did have a small freak out session when I realized that I hadn't planned for life without coffee.. But, I managed when we stopped at a riverside village and a young girl sold me a Coca-cola for two Peruvian Soles. We also discovered, on the second evening, that the boat had a "store" that served cookies, soft drinks, and beer. This was a relief from the chicken and rice we had been served for three days.
I spent my time during the trip meeting new folks, eating coconut, playing with a puppy, doing yoga, thinking, reading two books in Spanish, and enjoying the sunsets.
It was a challenging, beautiful ride. I titled this post "Travels with Anna" because I am traveling with my big old brain, everywhere I go.. This thing really kicked in when on
the boat when there was nowhere to go but up and down stairs. I always seem to forget that the brain is a tool. And, like any other "tool", can be used for good or evil. It is all in how we use the
tool. It was driving me crazy on the boat; in other words, I was not using it wisely. Nice to realize this again.
I remembered, also that decisions are made from the heart and aided by the brain. This is why I have decided to pursue professionally (and personally) the things that I love: appropriate technology, education, traveling, and yoga. It feels good to have experimented with other things and return to something you love. I am, again, on the pursuit of a PhD.. This time more confident. Now, if I can just make more decisions about my personal life.. Ha ha!
I am currently traveling in Colombia eating the best food I have had since arriving in South America. I will be a gordita (little fatty) when I get home, but I will be happy! I am ALSO in a hostel now with 21 year olds at every glance...
There's a pool and a bar, and I am sharing a room (that's next to the pool) with nine other people. There's a great roof for yoga, which I already used - until someone made a crude joke about Downward Facing Dog... To avoid killing a 19 year old from Nebraska, I will probably have to leave tomorrow. Homesickness is also kicking in pretty hard, but everyday I am enjoying Colombia more. I just left Cartagena and am now in Santa Marta. Both cities are on the Caribbean, so I will be checking out the beaches tomorrow. Chao amigos and thanks for listening to my rant!



No comments:

Post a Comment