Thursday, September 16, 2010

Quito... To Galapagos!


I apologize for the blog delay. I have very slow internet, and I have been sick for about two weeks! During this time, I did do some amazing things and met some outstanding people.
I went to a small Ecuadorian
town called Banos. It is very beautiful. We, Diego (see
picture) and I, went on a long bike ride and saw many beautiful waterfalls. It was a truly unforgettable day and amazing place.
My four week wait for visa left me in Quito with not much to do! I
was able to go to the the top of a mountain where I could see three volcanoes. It was the highest I have ever been in my life. I also went to some beautiful parks and walked around the city of Quito. I went to the Middle of the World with two of my new roommates in Galapagos, Ver
a and Lauren (they're sisters). They are from Philadelphia but have lived all over the world. I miss many
things about Quito now.I arrived in the Galapagos two weeks ago. I took a plane to Guayaquil and then another plane to an island called "Baltra", a boat to Santa Cruz Island, and then a final two hour boat ride to Isabela. I saw a giant iguana at the airport! Definitely interesting.
I liked the boat ride to Isabela because I was able to see all the islands! I had to work the very next day after arriving! So, needless to say, I was a little tired. I did manage to see a sea lion as I was approaching the islands. The water is clear and beautiful.
The island seems very dry to me, but I have not been to the "jungle" area of the highlands yet.
The job is definitely a challenge. I have not had to deal with discipline issues in a long time. My day starts a
t 5:30, and I teach unti approximately 1:15. After I finish teaching school I nap and walk along the be
ach here. I have also been to see the turtles here! They are awesome. There are flamingos here, as well, and humongous iguanas. I have to admit, at first I was very scared of the iguanas, but I learned that they are harmless and am no longer scared!
The town where I live is very small. My students are everywhere! I love seeing them around, and I love teaching younger children again. It can be so rewarding and so challenging. Each day is so different.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to practice much yoga these past couple of weeks because I have been a little under the weather. But, I hope after this weekend of rest that I will be able to get back in the swing of things. Veganism is definitely not an option here, so I have been eating eggs and a little bit of dairy. I might eat fish here as well because ceviche is the specialty.
People tell me that my Spanish is getting better, but I am still struggling. My students and the local teachers all speak Spanish (no English), so I have a hard time communicating. Patience is definitely a virtue when learning another language.
I have more photos and some videos, but they are very difficult to upload here ;(. Hopefully, I will have more soon. I miss everyone very much. I also miss North Carolina very much, but I am very glad that I am here.
Namaste,
Anna
P.S. There are many more pictures on Facebook - it's easier to upload!

No comments:

Post a Comment